Monday, November 26, 2012

Witness to a Surprise - Ch 5.9


We took about a two days to move David into my house, our house. He didn't have many things so it was a pretty quick transfer. He was sure to grab all of his family pictures, ribbons from school and magic equipment. Most of his stuff all fit in my room, which he would now share with me. He had sold all of his furniture because I already had everything we need.

It only took us about a week to fall into a pattern such as couples who have lived together for years have. David was very helpful around the house, and even helped me in the garden. Every morning I make breakfast and after we eat, while I put the leftovers away, he'd load the dishwasher. Then we both take to watering and weeding. Most times we're still in the garden when my carpool arrives for work. While I'm gone he practices his magic act. I come home and we have dinner together then normally get into a game or two of dominoes. A couple of times we went out to dinner or a movie, but most times just are together at home. It was almost too perfect. Kind of disturbingly so. I never really thought it would be this easy.



Rosetta came home from working late one day and when she walked through the door, David whipped his wand out and turned it into a bouquet of flowers. "Flowers my lady?" He asked her. "Lovely, but not as perfect as yourself."

She rolled her eyes, though couldn't help but smile and laugh. "Thank you sir."

When she walked up to take the flowers, David made them disappear and grabbed her hand instead, pulling her into his arms so he could kiss her. She hadn't stepped out of his arms yet when she looked at him, "You're simply the best guy ever."

"Well I'm glad I can please you so much." David said, then he chuckled under his breath, "Now, how about I saw you in half? I need practice on that. Care to be a lovely assistant?"

Rosetta looked a little leery, "I think I'll pass on that one, I like my body whole. It's been a tough and long day at work, I'm beat and ready for bed actually."

David smiled and hugged her. "Of course you are, by all means let's tuck ourselves in!"


David and Rosetta brushed their teeth and got into bed together. David slept shirtless this night because it was pretty warm out. The cool sheets felt very satisfying on his bare skin. Once his girl got into her spot and her favorite falling asleep position, he slid over and curled up behind her.

Rosetta let out a pleasurable sound and whispered, "I'm so glad you're sleeping in the bed with me. You feel fantastic."

"As do you my love. Truly." He whispered back. David kissed her shoulder gently then snuggled his head at the base of her neck.

Before they started living together, and even once afterward, Rosetta had tried to initiate a little woohoo between the two of them, but David avoided it. The truth was that he could have given in at any time, and actually wanted to, but he really just wanted to make sure that both of them were in it for the long run first. David had dated a couple of women in his life, though it never went that far. The girls he had been seeing tried a few times to get him between the sheets, but he never felt comfortable enough to give his full self to them. When he said that he wanted to wait, it wasn't much longer that the relationship ended and he was glad he hadn't given in.

As he was falling asleep David was thinking about Rosetta, how much he really did love her, and how she was the first one to stay with him even after he had denied her advances a few times. It pleased him to know that physical connection wasn't at the top of her list of importance in a relationship. The only people who had ever taught him about love were his parents, and he actually wanted nothing less than what they had together. He didn't want to settle, he wanted everything. From the beginning, he had felt that he could have it all with Rosetta and he was shooting for it. David drifted into sleep and dreamt of his family, of the love everyone had shared and of him having the same.

Rosetta dreamt of something entirely different. Hers were slightly disturbing. She dreamt of a large, long pool and herself standing on a diving board at one end of it. The sun shone down brightly and birds sung in the background. She was smiling as she dove off, head first, into the cool clear waters below. When she went under it felt great, refreshing yet shocking. She was attempting to swim the length of the pool underwater, trying to reach the wall beyond. Unfortunately she had to come up for air. Her head broke through the top of the water and as she gasped for a breath the entire scene changed. Clouds rolled in the sky and it started to rain. The walls of the pool were closer than before, and the water not so clear. Trying to get out, she started to swim toward the edge, but then realized it was right in front of her, the pool wasn't long anymore - it was a tiny square. That startled her awake, she sat up in the bed and checked for David, he was there right next to her, sound asleep.


It was just a few hours later when David awoke and found Rosetta in the kitchen already making his favorite breakfast, pancakes. "You're up awful early. It's only 4:30am. I thought you were off work today?"

Rosetta put the plate of pancakes on the counter and turned to hug him. "I am. I just, had some weird dreams and couldn't sleep anymore. Are you ready to eat or would you like a shower first?"

David looked at her and raised an eyebrow, "You sayin' I stink lady?" He straightened up and then bowed to her, "If it is your wish, I shall bathe before eating your perfect breakfast."

Rosetta laughed aloud at him before saying, "No, not at all. You smell as wonderful as always, just asking. Let's eat."

Even though it's been a while since he moved in, I think I'm feeling the true differences only recently. I'm not saying that I mind him being here, I don't. I love it. Though I have to say, it's really different having to cook for two instead of just myself, or make sure I don't take forever in the shower because someone else needs it too. Maybe I just need to get out. It's been a while since we went out together.

"So I was thinking, since it is my day off, lets go somewhere. We haven't been to Mike's in a while. How about it?" Rosetta offered.

"Sure, that sounds great. I'll kick your butt in some pool." David glance out the window. "Of course, they don't open until 9 I think, so we have a good amount of time."

Rosetta looked a little disappointed, but suggested they spend that time in the garden taking care of the plants. If there was still time to waste after that they decided they'd go fishing at the little pond next to their house.


Rosetta and David were at Mike's Master Karaoke by noon, and planned to spend most of the day out. The two of them had a few juices downstairs, and listened to some singers, most of them were actually pretty good. The bad ones usually only come out at night, and only sing after they've  had a few too many drinks. A couple hours later they walked around the block to the diner to have a little lunch before going right back to Mike's.

When they came back they went upstairs to play pool for a little while. Both of them were having fun just being with each other, especially being out of the house, it seemed each of them was a little stir crazy. Rosetta was a bit more so than David. It felt good to be out.

"Hey, that's cheating. You're distracting me with your cuteness." Rosetta said to David. "Though I have to say, that is quite an interesting outfit you've chosen to play in. Maybe you did that on purpose?"

David smiled, "I'll never tell. Nice break by the way, my shot. Excuse me little lady, I need some room to perform my fabulous feats!"

'Fabulous feats' wasn't actually an exaggeration, David was really good at pool and Rosetta was truly impressed. He sunk four of his own before he missed and it was her turn. She was pretty sure that he missed on purpose, just so he wouldn't show her up too much. They played two full games, David winning both, before going off to do other things. Mike's had a photo booth and they couldn't resist taking some funny pictures before leaving. They also took some romantic shots and planned to hang both sets on the wall at home. David was big on having pictures, which Rosetta had discovered when he moved in.


A few weeks passed and David had gotten his first gig in town for a magic act. He was thrilled, and Rosetta shared his enthusiasm. She had tried to tell him at one point that it wasn't necessary for him to work, with the money she made from her job both of them lived comfortably. He had told her that it wasn't about the pay at all, he just really enjoyed pleasing a crowd and doing magic. It was about the fun.

Rosetta made sure she called her work and told them that she was leaving early so she could be there for his first performance. She wouldn't have missed it for the world. Unfortunately during his act she felt that she was more a distraction than a help.


She watched as he tried to pull something out of his hat, but there was nothing in there. His eyes kept falling on her. Rosetta smiled and cheered for him to keep going, that she wanted to see more, even though the rest of the crowd sighed whenever anything failed. David tried to make some doves appear and fly, but the only thing that showed up was a handful of feathers. He glanced at Rosetta and tried to smile. Again the crowd sighed, and one or two booed him. Rosetta threw her hands up and cheered anyway. Then he tried to turn his wand into flowers, the oldest trick in the book, but it just wouldn't do it. Aggravated the threw the wand down on the stage and stomped on it with his foot. The only thing that had worked properly for him was making some cards appear from thin air. He tried to do that same trick again, but the majority of the crowd was bored with that. Pretty soon watchers started to leave, saying it was the worst show they'd ever seen.

Rosetta made her way up to the stage. She wasn't blind to the fact that he was highly nervous and expected that it was mostly her fault. Maybe she shouldn't have come to watch, or at least shouldn't have let him know she was there.

"Man I sucked..."

Before he could continue she pressed her lips to his, kissing him until he relaxed in her arms. "No honey, you were just nervous. Everything will be perfect. You were perfect. I'm sorry if I made you uneasy."

David smiled. "Thanks Rose, you're sweet. No, I'm really glad you were here. Though, yes, you made me a little nervous, but it wasn't your fault that none of my things worked. I'll have to inspect it all before trying this again."


Some of my favorite times are my days off just sitting with David on the couch. We do that quite often. We don't even need to fill the silence with mindless babble either. It's always nice when you find someone you can just be with and not feel obligated to talk to. Of course it's not silent every time, we can always find something to talk about.

"Oh, I forgot, I invited Sonia over today. She hasn't actually met you yet and she wanted to, so, anyway she'll be here soon. "

"Okay, cool. Should I go put some sandwiches together?"

"No, I've got plans to make spaghetti after she comes, she likes that." Rosetta said.

"Well who wouldn't like your spaghetti? Who wouldn't like your anything? You're an amazing cook." David complimented. He looked at Rosetta for a moment, then suddenly his cheeks got slightly red and he looked a bit nervous.

Rosetta looked at him curiously. Just as she was about to ask what was wrong the doorbell rang. "Oh, that'll be her. Be right back."

David said "Okay," and watched her walk toward the door. He let out a breath in a big sigh. 'It's okay dude, chill. It'll be alright.' He told himself.


"Hey Sonia! I'm glad you could come over. Come on, I'll introduce you to him. He's in the den." Rosetta told her best friend.

Sonia and David shook hands and started with the usual small talk. Rosetta offered a game of dominoes with the two of them, and both agreed that it sounded great. After an hour or so, Rosetta excused herself from the game, leaving David and Sonia to finish up while she made dinner.

"Actually I'm not in the mood to play anymore," David said. "Let's go in the kitchen with her."

The two of them sat at the table to talk while Rosetta finished up cooking. During dinner Rosetta told David all about when she first moved in here and didn't really know anyone, then Sonia moved in and the two girls became friends almost instantly. Sonia asked David if she knew any eligible men in town.

"Well, no actually, the only guys I know are married. Sorry, Sonia." David said, then he smiled, "Of course you might find someone who's not in a happy marriage." He winked at her.

Sonia laughed and nodded, "Yeah I'll get right on that."

When they finished eating, Sonia and David went to watch television in the den while Rosetta cleaned up the kitchen a little bit.


"You doing okay man? You look a little nervous." Sonia asked David. "Sorry if I'm prying,"

David smiled at her, "It's okay, you're not, and I'm fine. Thanks."

Rosetta came into the den to join her best friend and boyfriend in watching a movie. When she stepped in front of the couch, David popped up to his feet and stopped her from sitting down.

"Hang on a sec. I have, well I have something for you."

As quick as a flash David hit one knee and popped a box open in front of Rosetta. "This wasn't originally the setting I intended, but I just don't want to wait anymore."


"Rosetta, will you marry me? I want to be with you forever, I've known that for a long time. I want to be your husband and be there for you always. Marry me?" The ring sparkled in it's puffy pillow nestled inside the black box.

Rosetta's mouth dropped open as far as it could. "Dear spirits! Marry.. oh... David wow. Husband? Marry.." She realised she was stuttering and not making any sense, so she closed her eyes and mouth and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes David looked a little concerned. She nodded vigorously, "Yes. Yes!"

David smiled pulled the ring from the box, gently he placed it on her finger. He hugged her hard and kissed her lips.

I turned to look at Sonia, but realised that she was gone. Then I heard the front door close, and knew that she had left to give us some privacy. So I took advantage of it, I wrapped him in my arms and kissed him again. It's odd, I'd never even thought about marrying him before this moment. Even though I'd not considered it yet, I knew instantly that I wanted to. It felt now like more of my life was complete. We stood there for a while in the den, just holding each other. Smiling, laughing and kissing. It wasn't too much longer though, that we realized the time was about 2am and we should get to sleep.


The two of us went to the bedroom to get ready for the night. I was choosing my pajamas when from behind me David hit me with a pillow. He burst into laughter as I regained my balance, tears of hilarity formed in his eyes. Of course, while his vision was blurry, I grabbed my own pillow and whacked him right back. He was a bit surprised by that, I guess he wasn't expecting it. Pretty soon feathers were flying and the giggles were spreading as we had our first pillow fight. He got me good a few times, and I him. Somewhere amidst the down flying all over David grabbed me around the waist and basically tossed me on the bed. Still giggling but my senses shocked, I looked at him with surprise. He joined me on the bed, and hovered over me for a moment before leaning down to kiss me.


David had never kissed me quite like that before, the man could have melted ice. We've kissed many times before but something about this was different. He may not have been all the way with a woman before, but apparently he's had plenty of practice in every other way. I hated to think about it but even Nicholas with all his knowledge didn't kiss quite this good. David was more gentle, thorough, pleasurable. Every organ in my body rose in temperature. Then, his hand squeezed my hip as he pulled away from the kiss. Actually he was acting like he was a little frustrated, like he wanted to go further but was restraining himself. To be honest I could have ripped his clothes off right then and there, of course out of respect, I didn't. He helped me into a sitting position before lightly kissing me again.

"I'm sorry to distract you," David said with a grin, "You were changing, my love?"

Rosetta let out a puff of breath as she got to her feet, "Yeah I guess I was."




To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome update hon <3
    David had a bad show. That was sad :/
    Thanks for inviting ME over lol I do love scetti <3 I looked so uninterested when David was proposing :'( ME is lonely <3 They're adorable and perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they're together, but a nightmare on the first night he's there can't be a good omen. Also she sounds a bit iffy when she is already feeling a bit caged around him. Maybe not, anyway, I tend to see sinister things where they don't belong! lol Poor David, don't think I've seen him have trouble with a performance since he first began doing magic. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww..so sweet! I'm happy for these two. They're so wonderful together. David is quite comical. I swear, I had to pause on reading a few times, I was laughing so hard. Great pool outfit. xD!! Great update! Can't wait for the wedding.

    'I'm glad I could please you..how about I saw you in half?' Best line ever!

    ReplyDelete