Thursday, June 30, 2011

G III: Chapter 27


Before the sun had even touched her doorstep, Brian was knocking on Rachel's door.

"I came to invite you to spend the day at my house." He said with a smile. "I want to introduce you to my family."

"Are you serious?" Rachel said. She giggled, "Isn't it a little early for all this? I haven't even had my coffee yet."

Brian smiled. "I am sorry it's so early, but I couldn't wait."

She agreed to his proposal and the two headed out.


"I should warn you, my family can be a little nuts at times. Just thought I'd let you know." Brian whispered when they walked in the door.

Rachel playfully pushed Brian's shoulder, "Oh knock it off, I'm sure they're great. This is a fabulous house by the way. Lots of room."

"Yeah, it's not bad. I don't like it as much as our house in Twinbrook, which was a little smaller. It was more home like though. Maybe this one is a little too big."


Brian brought Rachel in to meed his mom and uncle. They were both happy meet someone new and also glad to see that little twinkle in Brian's eyes when he said her name.

They stood in the kitchen after breakfast and talked for a while - about everything and nothing in particular.

"Are you single?" Daphne asked without hesitation.

Rachel couldn't hide her smile. She knew that look, her mother had that look when she introduced Rachel to Ted Rollins. Rachel could tell that Daphne was hoping her son would fall madly in love with her. She took a quick glance at Brian, then back to Daphne "Yes, I am. Very single."

Daphne grinned. "Good, good. Though you're very pretty, I would wonder why."

"I just moved here, I hadn't met anyone yet worth my attention."

Daphne smiled again.

Brian overheard this conversation and couldn't help but roll his eyes. He knew what his mother was up to just as well as Rachel. He also caught that glance from Rachel and, uncontrolled by him, his heart fluttered when she said she was single. He turned away from the crowd as he felt himself blush slightly. 'Okay yes, I admit, I'd like to date her. I hope bringing her here didn't ruin those chances, Moms embarrasing me!' He thought to himself.

Rachel said her goodbyes, it was time for her to get to work. A quick hug to Brian, and even Daphne, and she walked out the door.

Brian looked at Daphne. "Really mom?"

Daphne chuckled and went out to the garden to take care of her other babies.


Later that afternoon, over some leftover pancakes, Brian was talking to his mother.

"Did you really have to be that forward Mom? I'm trying not to rush things here."

Daphne smiled, she watched James come in. "Sometime you can't help who you love honey, and sometimes you have to love what's in front of you."

"Who said anything about love?" Brian said a little astonished. He was just getting to know this girl.

"Don't you think so James? Wasn't she adorable?" Daphne asked.

"Yes, but Daph, you can't push the boy. He doesn't see what we do. I'm sure he feels it, but if he's trying not to rush it - don't make him." James was a little forceful, but he also smiled at her. "It was there, they'll find it. Don't worry."

Daphne giggled. "Of course. I just .. well nevermind."

"Hey, lets go to the park when your done. Johanna's prom is monday, and she needs a new dress. Maybe you can do that. I've never been to good in the style department." James said to Daphne.



When they got to one of the local parks, there was a gentleman playing the guitar. He stopped playing and talked to James for a little bit.

Daphne talked to Johanna, "So I hear that your Prom is coming up soon! Big night, Prom night. Mine was a disaster which is why I've never mentioned it."

"Oh yes! Prom, I'm so excited!" Johanna's smile vanished, "but I don't have a dress! What am I going to do?"

"Relax honey, it's only Friday. I'm sure we can get a dress for you. Let's go."


The man James was talking to watched Johanna as she walked away. James didn't miss that.

"What do you think you're looking at? She is a baby and NOT your concern! If I ever catch you looking at her or any other teenager like that I'll take this cane and wack you over the head so hard your toes will bleed!"



"Well, lets see what we can do here. You have a great figure, no doubt, but I think your father will go nuts if you get a dress too short. Or too flashy. I think it should go to at least your shins, if not your ankles."

"I don't want anything to show my pouchy stomach either, so keep that in mind."

"You don't have a pouchy stomach! What are you talking about?" Daphne laughed.

Johanna smiled, "Thanks Mother Daphne. Okay, what do you have in mind?"


4 comments:

  1. Shopping for prom dresses--must be fun!

    "I'll whack you over the head so hard your toes will bleed!" Love it! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I can't wait to see Johanna's prom dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping for prom, nice! Oh James, he looked like such an old grump the way he shook his finger at the guy. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete