Monday, June 13, 2011

G III: Chapter 23

The sun was up and Daphne was out - still searching for a great house to make into a home. At one point, the taxi driver taking her around town said he had to take lunch,  hinting to hurry up or get out. Daphne told him just to let her out now. She apologised for taking up so much of his time and paid him. When she looked around she noticed she was on a nearly abandoned road. There was only one house there. She turned to ask the driver to take her a little closer to town but he had already gone.

"Wow, guess you're really sick of me huh?" She asked aloud to the taillights that she could barely see.

Then she turned back to the house. It was a big one and she wondered if anyone lived there. There were no cars in the driveway, but that didn't really mean anything. She decided to take a closer look and walked toward it.


The first thing she saw when she approached was a big - empty - garden. Daphne sighed. She thought of her garden at home.  The days she was spending here were gardenless and she was beginning to miss her own.

She knocked on the door, no one answered. She also dared to peek in the windows, there was no furniture. Maybe it was empty after all? Daphne started to get excited. She walked around the side and into the garden area. Just as she did, her phone rang.

 







It was James, calling to check on her.

"How's the hunt going?" He asked.

Daphne could tell by his tone that he was lonely. He was most likely off work, and all the house cleaning was done. The kids were probably out and he was by himself.

She sighed. "Not as fast as I would have hoped, there is a lot of room to build but I really didn't want to wait that long. I was hoping to find one ready to inhabit. I did just happen across a large house that looks empty. I'd love to see inside, but there is no one here to show me at this moment."

"Great! So you might have found something though, that's good. All you would have to do, is make a quick call to City Hall, I'm sure they have Realtors on site, or have some numbers for you. You could be done in no time."

She nodded, then realised that he couldn't see her. "Yeah you're right. I'll go do that."

"Okay, well stay safe!" They disconnected the line.






She looked around a little bit more, before she called anyone out. There as a nice pool out back, and from the back porch she could see into the kitchen. It was huge. Definitely bigger than the one back home.

 Also right next door was a very large plot of land, set up for a cemetery. The place was mostly empty, it did have a mausoleum, but there were no gravestones.

'Perfect', Daphne thought. 'It wouldn't cost much, or take too much extra time to move the whole family here.' She included the part of the family that had already passed in that thought. She considered this resting place better than the one they were currently in. It was also bigger, and might serve the family longer.


Daphne walked the few feet back to the house, she stood in the front and gazed at it for a long moment before picking up her cellphone. She dialed 411 to get the number for City Hall - then called them for a Realtor. Someone was sent out right away. Daphne was shown the house, and she made her decision.


Daphne went to the small place she rented, she paid what she owed. She grabbed a bite to eat and then changed her clothes. Stepping outside she hailed a taxi, the driver didn't seem pleased when he heard her destination. 'That's half a day away! We won't be there 'till morning.' Daphne said she didn't mind, and she would tip him large. The driver sighed but gave in and Daphne sat in the car. The drive was long, but they made it fine.


Daphne walked toward the door of her home just as Johanna was running out to the bus. Johanna stopped briefly to give a hug but said she was late enough and had to run. Daphne nodded and kissed Johanna's cheek, "Get going girl, don't get in trouble. I love you."

Johanna waved as the bus drove away, she leaned out the window and said, "I love you too, glad you are home!"

Daphne went inside and found James at the door. She wasted no time in telling him everything about Riverview that she could think of. He listened quietly to her babble, the hint of a smile played on his lips.

Daphne paused in her speech and smiled herself, "Why are you smiling like that?"

"It's just, I haven't seen you lively in a while. It makes me glad to see you happy, Daphne." James admitted, "I can see that you're excited."









Daphne smile grew. Just then the two of them were joined by Brian and Dylan. Dylan looked different - so different that Daphne gasped when she saw him.

"OH, Dylan I missed your birthday! I'm so sorry!" She said immediately.

Dylan chuckled, "That's quite alright, it was nothing spectacular." He said, "I hear though that you may have found something great?"

Though Daphne wanted to apologize more to Dylan, she couldn't help but smile again. "Yes it's a beautiful house, big enough for this family and away from the noise of the city. Also not quite so far away as to miss out on important happenings. We won't be country bumpkins. The house is great. It's unfurnished so we may bring our things. We'll be going tomorrow, bright and early so you better get packing."

Brian hugged his mother when she stopped talking. "I missed you mom, I'm glad your back safe and sound. Also I'm glad you found a house, but I'm not sure I want to move." His mind drifted to a couple of people that he had grown up with, one in particular. There was a girl that he had been crushing on and wanted to get to know. If he moved - he wouldn't have that anymore. "Of course, I'll go where ever you do, and you seem very excited and ready. So I am too." His smile was warm and genuine. Brian would never put that much distance between his family and himself.


The next day, as early as they could rise, the whole family dressed and left. Each member had a different emotion about moving.

Johanna was nervous - the thought of a new town, and new people. The new school and teachers. She was the only one who had to worry about that anymore.

Dylan was excited, but reserved. He had plans to move again soon, but wasn't sure how the family would take it. He didn't want to bring it up yet but wasn't sure when the best time would be. Especially now that the family was uprooting themselves and taking off to a whole new place.

Brian was thinking about Susan Drake. A girl he knew at high school, he hadn't gotten the nerve to ask her out then but he had gotten to know her better since they talked often on the phone. He thought he was ready for a relationship. Now they were moving. He had already made the call to Susan and told her, even admitted that he would miss her.

James was going to stay with Daphne, where ever she went. He could tell that she was very happy to move, and he could see that she really wanted this. James needed his whole family, but Daphne made him feel closer to reality than anyone else and he needed her most.

Daphne was thrilled and wanted nothing more than to get away from this house and the memories it brought back. Though she loved (and still loves) her late husband very much, she was ready to move on. The best way she could think of to do that was to relocate.

Everyone of them glanced back at the house they were leaving. Each thought was similar then: Goodbye home.




At first they drove right past the house. Daphne wanted to show the rest of the family the future Cemetery for those passed. She gave a brief tour, and shared her thoughts about placement of their deceased family members. To her delight, everyone seemed to approve of the site.
Next was the house. Daphne was quite curious how everyone would like that as well.

The family entered their new home and looked around. It was bigger than the house they just left. Daphne had already seen it, so she decided to use her new kitchen and cook dinner while everyone else did their exploring and picking of the rooms.

"The downstairs room is mine, so don't even try claiming that one!" Daphne said over her shoulder.





With the bedrooms assigned and enough clothes for a week unpacked, everyone answered Daphne's dinner call.

"So what do you think of the new house?" Brian asked as the family ate dinner. "Personally I'm not sure yet. I like it, but I have to see the rest of the town to settle in better. It was dark when we arrived, so I didn't get a good look."

"Well, the house might be okay. I'm not sure really, it seems a little too big actually. I thought maybe I'd get a little time off from school too, being in a new town, but my first day is tomorrow! I don't think I'm ready yet." Johanna admitted.

"Personally, I don't mind being here, and the house seems nice. Then again anywhere my family is - is the best place to be." Said James.

"That's true, very true." Brian agreed. "We will see how it all works out. It still has to grow on me."

After dinner everyone went to their rooms and fell asleep.


The next morning Johanna got ready for school. Thankfully the bus arrived at a decent time, she had worried that it would be earlier then she was used to. She loaded herself on to the bus and looked at the driver.

"He looks just like my old bus driver. Hmm." She said to herself, then she chuckled quietly, "I guess they all look alike."

Brian and Dylan rose and showered. Neither had anything to do really so they settled down with a quiet game of chess. While they played, Dylan confessed to Brian.

"Hey bro, I uh." He hesitated. "I don't want you to say anything yet but... I'm going to be moving to Shang Simla soon." Dylan waited for his brother to yell at him, or beg him not to go.

"Oh, well you know I was expecting something like this. You have been kind of preoccupied since your birthday, so I figured you'd be moving soon. I wasn't expecting Shang Simla, but I'm sure you have dreams that you wish to chase and fulfill. If they are in China, well bro, I wish you the best of luck. I love you man, we all do, just remember that and don't forget to call."

"Thanks. That means a lot, to have your approval." Dylan said. He was happy that at least Brian was okay with his decision. "Oh, and yeah - I love you guys too. I won't forget ya when I go!"

Daphne woke and could not wait to plant some seeds in the empty garden. She wasn't even out of her nightgown before digging in the dirt. She planted as many things as she thought she would have space for and watered before calling for James to join her in a game of catch.


When James came outside, he noticed that the Paparazzi had already found them. They hadn't even been here 24 hours yet and were already being followed and photographed.

He sighed. "It doesn't take long to get noticed around here does it Daph?"

"No, I guess not. We'll just have to keep on ignoring them like we have been." Daphne said. "I really hope everyone likes it here."

"I know you do." Said James.







***HOUSE PICTURES***


Basement with full bath


First floor
1 bedroom with attached bathroom and nursery

2nd floor
4 bedrooms, with attached baths




4 comments:

  1. Nice house! I must have missed an update. Why'd they move?? Gots to go back and read. And Dylan, why so far away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like the house! Hey I am not sure if you know but I do have a blog for houses I make and put up for download - http://mysimhouses.blogspot.com/
    I will be putting up pics of this house soon!
    Why move? They needed a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this update! Great house--the exterior is beautifully landscaped--lots of room for them "TO GROW" :) Very nice to see Daphne happy...now if she and James will just get together...lol I figure that you are moving Dylan out of the picture since he doesn't show up in the family tree (I have a number of families with that issue) and you want to concentrate on either Brian (or Johanna) for the next generation--am I right or all wrong? WTG, Sim Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dylan is moving really just because he loved Shang Simla sooo much. Then he rolled a want to move and another to go there.. so I am running the story like that! He will not be out of the picture comepletely, he is still family. And no it is not because of the glitch of him not showing related to the Fullers. Although that does annoy me!

    ReplyDelete