Thursday, August 30, 2012

A new life - Ch. 5.1

Hidden Springs. It's a quiet town, nestled between a river and a mountain range, loaded with trees and not many people. As readers we will be following the life of Rosetta Nawn, a young woman new to this lovely town, and new to her own life.

Rosetta bought a plot of land in the middle of a woodsy and country housing area. There were quite a few houses, and they were pretty close to each other, but with all the trees there was plenty of privacy. Tucked away in the woods, the houses here had much wildlife around them. The deer roamed freely and even wild horses frequented the area. Close to the mountains, one main paved road cut back in the woods, but the remaining streets were dirt. Traffic was never heavy which was a lot better for the residents.

Rosetta was sure to visit her property a few times before setting out to have her house built. Being a woman fresh from college, and not much money filling her pockets, she only needed a single bedroom and not much else was required.


Finally, my new house is finished and I can move out of the cramped dorm room. It's not much but at least it's bigger than where I was, and even has a private bedroom. I plan on living here for quite a while, which is why I chose a plot of land big enough for some expanding later.

There isn't much to my furniture just yet, I don't like to spend money that I don't really have, so I got something on the cheap end. Unfortunately in addition to being cheaper, it's also ugly. I hate the pattern of my living room set. Not to mention the walls. Ugh. That is something I will definitely be changing as soon as I am able to.

I know I just got here, and am barely unpacked, but I just have to get out. I'm so excited about being in this new town, I just can't be confined to my house.


The houses surrounding Rosetta's home were mostly empty. There were only about four that had families living in them. One or two of the houses were very large and well established. Many were smaller though, more affordable to new homeowners.

Rosetta didn't have a car, and didn't want to go far, but she decided to venture out and meet her neighbors. She was a little apprehensive at first, especially when she noted that the closest house seeming to have people living in it was huge. Briefly she checked out her clothes, to make sure she didn't look like a complete slob before introducing herself.


As Rosetta approached the house, she heard voices and realized that the family who lives here was out in their front yard. That made it a little easier for her to be comfortable. Since Rosetta loved the outdoors, anything she did out there was better handled than when she was inside anywhere. It made her more nervous to think that there was no way out. Being outside got rid of that fear.

She took a breath as she stepped through the opening in the fence. She saw the people on the other side and smiled. There were two ladies and a man standing there, one of the ladies seemed to have a greenish type of skin and was walking away toward the house, looking a little frustrated. The other woman just stood there and looked at Rosetta. The man was the first to speak.

"Why hello! The name's Nicholas, you must be the one who moved into the new house down there." He said gesturing, toward her house, with his head and offering his hand.

Rosetta was slightly shaken, not because she was nervous but because the man before her had an air about him that commanded your attention. His voice was deep and struck a chord in Rosetta that made her heart tingle. She nodded as she approached him. "Yes, that's me, I'm Rosetta. My friends call me Rose." She failed to mention she didn't really have any friends, but if the opposite were true she would want them to call her that.

The man smiled. "Rose. How lovely. Well, Rose, why don't you come inside and hang out with us for a bit. Nothing like getting to know the friends next door." He smiled a second time, his grin made Rosetta's heart tingle slightly again. She marveled at how he could do that to her with just a look and if he could tell that he was having that affect on her. How silly, of course he couldn't.

Rosetta agreed to go in. The second woman that had been standing there butted in, "I'll be leaving then, Nicky. We'll talk later." She glanced at Rosetta and added, "Enjoy the company," before walking off.


When she stepped inside, Rosetta was greeted by the woman she had seen earlier. She was very pretty and her skin tone seemed so natural on her, that it was barely noticed.

"Hey. I'm Cassidy, Nicholas and I are roommates, and well - he's my boyfriend too, I guess." She said, giggling just a little.

"It's nice to meet you Cassidy, you have a wonderful home here. I'm Rose, and I just moved in down the hill."

"Yes, I remember the construction. It was kind of noisy." She laughed, "Don't worry, none of us hold it against you or anything. We're all happy to have a new neighbor around here."

The two ladies talked for a few minutes about the neighborhood. Rosetta was kind of nervous to hear that everyone knew she had moved in. She thought for a minute that maybe she should have just bought a house here, instead of having a new one built - it would have drawn less attention, but what's done is done. No need to worry about it further.

"I'm sorry, may I use your bathroom?" Rosetta inquired.

"Oh, of course, excuse my manners, I've just been chatting your ear off haven't I?" Cassidy took her by the arm and led her toward the restroom. "I'll be back there," she pointed, "In the living room when you come out okay? We'll sit and talk for a bit."

Rosetta wasn't in there long, she washed her hands and went back out to sit with Cassidy. She wasn't sure why, but she was a little shocked to see that Nicholas was there too, one leg crossed lazily over the other. He looked very relaxed. Cassidy was at one end of the couch, and he at the other, leaving her no option but to sit between them. Close to him. Her heart fluttered again.

Why is he staring at me? He's got an odd look in his eyes. Am I supposed to say something? Because I'm kind of struck speechless here. Why don't they sit together? Didn't Cassidy say they were seeing each other?

Okay, I'll sit. He's still looking at me. His eyes, oh man they have so much hidden in there. I could study them for hours. Did Cassidy just roll her eyes at him? I wonder if they were having a fight when I came over. Everyone did seem a little tense.


Rosetta took her seat, but just as Cassidy was starting to say something the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it, you ladies sit tight." Nicholas said, with a wink, as he got up and walked away. It was only a second later that he called for Cassidy to come, it was for her.

Rosetta stood up, planning to excuse herself and go home to get more settled in. She walked through the archway and gasped, finding Nicholas right in front of her.

Oh! Why did he have to be so close... and what is it about him that draws my breath short? He seems so cocky, but it's like he has a right to be. Like he really does know what he's doing, and not just assuming he does.

"Leaving so soon?" Nicholas smiled, not bothering to step back at all, but remaining close, "I know, you have things to unpack and put away. Would you like me to come help?"

Is he serious?

"Oh, no I think I can handle it. You wouldn't want to see all my girly stuff anyways." Rosetta said with a smile. He responded with a smile too, but it seemed like his smile was hiding a secret. "I do have to go though, and get some stuff done. Thank you so much for showing me your house. It's wonderful."

Nicholas put his hand on her back and walked her to the door. Even with a shirt between them her flesh warmed beneath his palm. "Don't worry dear, we were glad for your visit." Casually leaning against the door frame, he fixed her with a look very similar to his smile, one that held a secret, "If there is ever, ever, anything that you need, you just come visit me okay? I'll take care of you."

Rosetta couldn't help but notice that he said to visit him not them. She wondered if there was anything behind that, but dismissed it as a slip of the tongue.

Well the first week in my new house went as to be expected, mostly. There were some unexpected things that came my way. I didn't sleep much, but when I did I was flooded with dreams of my neighbor, Nicholas. How did he push himself so deep into my subconscious so fast?

I made waffles for my breakfast most mornings. I have to remind myself not to make much more than I would eat right then, because my refrigerator really sucks and doesn't keep things long.

There were some seeds right next to my house that I found while I was getting a package that I had delivered here. I don't know what they are or whatever, but I think I'll plant them. Just for fun. I've never had a garden before. This move was about new beginnings and learning new things though, so why not? Is it odd that I don't miss home yet? I also found an advertisement for a position in the Research center for some test subjects while I was clipping my coupons out. I will definitely go apply to that this week.



Rosetta planted the two seeds that she had found right next to her house, just about where she found them. She was excited to see her plants and watch them grow. It seemed actually, since she moved here that she had become excited about things that she never thought she would. It was all new to her, and thrilling. There was only one thing that she missed from her life before Hidden Springs, and that was fishing.

Just as she finished pushing her seeds into the ground, the mailman showed up to deliver her first bills.

"Oh hi." Rosetta said. "Thanks so much, I'll take them."

The mailman smiled and handed her the envelopes that he carried. His gaze took her in from head to toe before he said, "How's the country life going for you? You're new on my route, so I'm assuming new in town, and you don't look much like you're from the country."

Rosetta smiled, "Yeah, I'm not, you've got that right. Though I've always hated the city, so I feel quite comfortable here thank you. I have a question though, you might know the answer to. Can you tell me where the nicest place to fish is here?"

"Oh," he look kind of disappointed in her question, "Yeah I guess, well if you're looking for lots of fish, the river is best. If you're looking for quiet, " he pointed to the edge of the hill that her house was on top of, "there are two ponds that way that are perfect for that."

Rosetta glanced in the direction that he indicated and didn't see anything, she guessed she'd have to go explore. "Thanks so much, you have a great day now." She told the mailman.

He saluted her and looked her up and down again before walking away.

Wow, when the mailman said 'perfect' I didn't think he really meant it. This place though, definitely perfect. So quiet. I love it. There aren't many fish, but that just makes it a challenge for me and that's fine. It's so nice here it make me want to come every day. I wonder where that other pond was that he mentioned?

Over the next week I just did things around the house and spent my evenings fishing. Nicholas visited me twice, with his girl Cassidy, he never fails to make my heart beat faster and my palms sweat a little bit when he talks to me. I don't know what it is about him in particular. Cassidy is a good woman, she's really nice and has a great sense of humor. Both of them are very good friends of mine now and I look forward to them coming over when they call and ask if they can. I haven't been to their house since I moved in though.

The third time Nicholas came to visit, which was just a day ago, it was only him. He had come to make sure I was doing well but also I guess to 'subtely' tell me that he and Cassidy had broken up. I'm not sure why he had to tell me, probably because that's the kind of news that you share with good friends. I'm also not sure why my heartbeat started to race faster when he mentioned it to me. Oh, to hell with it, I know why, I want him and I want him badly. Dear spirits, what I could do with that man. But I can't establish a reputation like that in this town, I may be coming into my own, but is that what I want to be seen as? I've only been here a few weeks, I don't need to start sleeping around. I don't think so. Besides, Cassidy is my friend too, and what if ... well never mind. After he left I needed to get out, with my heart beating as it was, and the cold sweat I had broken out into, I needed to leave. It felt like I couldn't breathe properly. I had heard earlier in the week about a great diner in town, so that's where I went.


Rosetta made her way to the diner, having called a taxi to pick her up. She went inside and had a great burger, with cheese and bacon. A side of french fries with ranch accompanied her meal, and to drink was an ice cold sweet tea. The waitress was really nice, and she was given a great tip by Rosetta before she left.

Not quite ready to go home yet, Rosetta looked around. There were a couple of people sitting on the benches that neighbored the restaurant. One man and one woman to be precise. Since the man looked to be pretty involved in his book, Rosetta decided to introduce herself to the woman. Her name was Velina.

"Nice to meet you Rose, when did you move here?" Velina asked. "Do you have a job yet? I'm asking because I am apparently in charge of hiring someone where I work, so yeah I was curious."

Rosetta smiled, "I moved in just a few weeks ago, and actually no I don't have a job yet. I'm in the market for one. Where do you work, what are they hiring for?"

"Oh, I don't know if you'd be interested. They need a test subject at the Science Facility."

"I read about that in the paper, I was actually going to apply. That's where I want to work. I'll take the lowest position, so long as there is room to move up. So they still need someone?"

Velina looked a little surprised. "Yes, they do. Well I guess I can tell them about you, can you come in tomorrow at 8am?"

Rosetta said that she could, and Velina smiled then said her goodbyes.


My garden is growing! I've never been so proud of something I've done. I just have two little plants for now, one looks to be sprouting into a tree, the other hasn't come out of the ground just yet.


I am so happy to have acquired this job, today is my first day. This town really is working out great for me so far. Everyone seems so nice and willing to help. I can't wait to see what the facility has in store for me, and I hope they recognize my potential for more than a test subject. Velina met me there like she promised, and introduced me to the people I would need to know to get started. My lab partner (the one doing the experiments on me) was called O'Dourke. Kind of a funny name if you ask me. He's a real nerd, much nerdier than I am. He doesn't seem to have any sense of humor at all, and he's strictly business. Once or twice I took something that made me feel very odd, but most stuff didn't have an affect.

When Rosetta left work, Velina caught up with her to walk with her. "How was your first day?" She asked.

"Oh it was actually remarkable. I really like it here, and hope I can stay for a long time. I could see myself retiring from this place." Rosetta replied jovially.

Velina looked shocked, and it seemed to Rosetta that the woman also seemed a bit, disheartened. Rosetta wasn't sure she really liked this woman, she appeared to be quite stuck up.

"Well, have a good night." Velina said, then vanished into a limousine that was waiting for her.

Rosetta's eyes went wide.

Wow, she must be a real big shot, riding around in one of those. I didn't even know. No wonder she seems kind of full of herself. She probably thinks she's better than most people.


Coming home, Rosetta was rather exhausted. She looked around at her small home and picked up anything that needed to be put away. There wasn't much, since she hadn't been home all day. There also wasn't much in the fridge for dinner either. She made a mental note to go shopping the next day off that she had.

Rosetta went to her room and started to pull her dresser drawer open to get out her pajamas, when the drawer stuck.

What the hell? Come ON.  She pulled hard on the handle, leaning back and putting her full body weight into it. Damnit, what is making this... POP. The pesky thing popped open and flung Rosetta backward. She landed on her butt with a big thump. Ohhh. That really hurt. I'll be sure to have a big bruise on my tailbone now! Well I guess it's a good thing no one's planning to see me naked. I wouldn't want to have to explain this, how embarrassing.

Rosetta stood up and gave the dresser a little kick before changing clothes and crawling into bed. After her long day's work, the sheets felt amazing and the bed very soft. She fell asleep quickly, but still awoke many times during the night. Rosetta still hadn't gotten used to the country sounds outside her window. Aside from the crickets, and the occasional rustle of a bush, it was amazingly quiet here. She wasn't used to that, she was used to hearing cars and honking while she fell asleep.




To be continued on the 7th...

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! I love this neighbourhood! (Might have to download HS) She's just so full of energy, excitement, and wonder you can really feel it. Nick (ha!) has certainly gotten to her quickly and, it would seem, she to him. Well, I just love the alternating of POVs, as well. Fantastic start, Ash! Wonderful! Yay for Science Girls!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of undercurrents :) Sov is right; lovely neighborhood and beautiful pond with the waterfall! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The town is beautiful. The pictures were gorgeous. Nicholas really likes her and she seems like him. Wonderful start Ash. Like always you leave me wanting more. Can't wait for the next update. I really like the way you're writing this Legacy. Never read any like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! Makes me want to go play Hidden Springs more. May have to bring the Antebello family on a vacation at some point...

    ReplyDelete