Saturday, August 6, 2011

G IV: Chapter 1

Johanna went to school the next day with puffy eyes and a short fuse. She hoped this day would pass by with no problems. Wanting to avoid the teachers as much as possible, Johanna kept her nose in her work and slumped in her chair.

 Brian and Daphne brought James to rest in the family cemetery next door. They stood for a moment at his grave and gave their time with him some thought.

Soon mother and son went back to the house.

Daphne stopped in the foyer and adressed Brian, "Brian, I need to talk to you about you taking over the house when I go."

"What? Mom, no I don't want to have this conversation now. You're not going anywhere anytime soon." Brian paused and sighed. "I know where it's coming from. I understand. What do you mean me taking over the house?"

"Oh Brian don't be silly, you know what I mean. I'd like to pass on the responsibilities of this household to you. You are the more 'rooted' person in this family, the one that's more likely to settle down and have kids. Of course I understand if you don't want to keep this house, but all of our furniture and things must stay in the family." She paused to breath. "I know it seems like a lot to take in right now, and seems like a lot of duty but you can handle it."

"Oh mom, I know. I got it. Your probably right, I know Dylan is moving to Shang Simla, and Johanna doesn't really know what she wants to do yet." Brian admitted. "Speaking of which, I'm going to tell you before she even knows. I plan to propose to Rachel today. I want to be her husband, that is if she'll have me!"

Daphne smiled from ear to ear. "OH wonderful! Don't you worry kid, I've seen the way she looks at you. She won't say no. Besides, any woman that says no to you is crazy."

Daphne hugged her son then basically pushed him out the door. "Go on, go on, get to it!"

Brian chuckled at his persistant mother, but walked out willingly.

Before he knew it, Brian was at Rachel's doorstep pulling her into her yard.

"Rachel I know we haven't been together long, but I feel like I can't live without you. I love you, and I want to marry you. Please marry me, will you?"

Rachel was completely shocked. She was expecting flowers or something, a warming up to asking her out. Not this. There was a moment of hesitation as her brain worked through this suprise.

She looked into Brians eyes. "Uh, are you serious?" Rachel saw his face falter and the smile vanish.

"No, NO! That's not what I meant, I'm sorry I was just taken off guard. I'm sorry!" It only took a second to realize what she wanted, "Yes, yes! I'll marry you! My answer is yes."

Brian let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. Then he jumped to his feet and hugged Rachel. She laughed. "You really made me nervous there for a minute." He told her as he stroked her cheek.

"I'm sorry, really I am. You just really suprised me."

Brian smiled, "I do apologize. Hey why don't you come home with me so we can tell my mother together?"

Brian and Rachel walked in to find Daphne tending the plants in the foyer.

"Mom! She said yes, she said yes!" Brian was excited, quite obviously.

"Oh perfect! I'm so glad." Daphne turned to Rachel after hugging Brian. "I'll be so happy to have you in the family honey, really. Now I have some questions. Big wedding? Small maybe? How about kids, do you want to have kids? How many?" It seemed like the questions wouldn't stop.

Rachel laughed. "There will be plenty of time to answer all those, don't worry." She turned to Brian, "One I can answer now, yes I'd like a wedding party. Soon too."

Daphne left to give the couple some time alone. She figured a dip in the hot tub would top this day of perfectly.
Not to long after she got in, she heard Dylan right behind her. "Can I talk to you for a minute Mom?"

"Of course sweetie, hang on." She clambered out of the swirling bubbles and brushed the water off herself. "What is it?"

"It's nothing big really. Well maybe to you it would be. Anyway, recent circumstances have affected my decision to move." He paused to see her reaction. She didn't seem to have one.

Daphne was actually holding her breath. She was afraid of this, now he was going to move away sooner than he was planning.

Dylan continued. "So, I was planning to leave at the end of the week. Now I've decided to stay all together. There is a house available right around the corner actually, it's perfect for me. Besides my true goal - which I have been thinking about since James died - is following in Charlie's footsteps. I've gotten a job at the news building. I'm on my way to the Star News Anchor I truly want to be."

Daphne was floored, and happy. "Wow, Dylan that's a surprise. I know you wanted to go study in Shang Simla very much. I didn't think you would change your mind."

"I know, but I've realized that there isn't much time in life to complete what you strive for. You did and you're one in a million you know. A lot of people don't make it that far. I want to. So I've put myself back on track. I'm going to go inside and tell Brian and Jo-Jo."

Daphne smiled. "I'm sure Brian will have some news for you too."

Dylan gave her a quizzical look, but she shoo'ed him off. "Go go, go share." She said.

Dylan went into the foyer and called Brian.

"I'm not moving, I'm staying here." He told his brother when he came in. "I've chosen to go after my life dreams instead of temporary wishes. Martial arts is wonderful, but it's just a hobby. I can do my hobby from home. Besides, with James's death I don't think it's the right time to go anywhere."

"That's awesome. Good, it'll be great to have you here for my wedding." Brian said.

"What? What wedding, what'd I miss bro?"

Just then Johanna joined them. "Did I hear someone say wedding? Who's getting married? I want to go to the party!"

Brian and Dylan both chuckled. Brian spoke up, "My wedding. Rachel and I are to be married in just a few days. The day after your birthday actually Jo-Jo."

Dyland and Johanna were both surprised, but pleased. "That's great!" They said at the same time.

Dylan looked at Johanna, "In other news, I've decided to stay home. Not move to Shang Simla."

'Wow! Awesome, this day just gets better and better!"

"Yeah, actually I've bought a house down the road. I am moving out, but I'm literally a minute and a half away. My taxi will be here soon to pick me up."

"MOM! Dylans leaving in a minute!" Brian called to Daphne.

She came in just a second later.

"Oh I didn't realize you were leaving so soon honey. Do you need anything before you go?" Daphe asked.

"Just a goodbye hug mom, and your best wishes."

"You got it dear." She hugged him and wished him well.

Dylan accepted hugs from all three family members, and walked outside to his waiting taxi.



Dylan's new house
Sorry it's dark.

As the car pulled away from the house, Dylan felt excited to branch out on his own. He was thrilled, but still a little anxious. Moving out meant taking on his own responsibilities, bills and a job and everything. On top of that his first day of work was the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, well at least the proposal lifted the family's spirits after James' death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Rachel is so cute with her little pigtails :) Dylan's house looks nice; I didn't mind it being dark; you could see the starry sky! Johanna's birthday--should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was aiming to erase the sadness of the times with the proposal, glad it worked.
    Lori - I agree, her pigtails are adorable! I am glad you could still see the house, glad it was not too dark

    ReplyDelete
  4. The proposal couldn't have happened at a better time, the family needed some good news to lift their spirits. Many good memories are in store for them, can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete