Tuesday, August 2, 2011

G III: Chapter 31

  The morning after James' death was a sad one. Each family member woke and felt their hearts break again.

The daily routine of each was interrupted quite frequently with tears and sobbing. Little things that would normally only slightly irritate people sent them over the edge and into screaming fits.

Johanna went into her fathers room to see if Daphne was still there. She was. 

"Mother Daphne, did you sleep here all night?" Johanna asked, then she slumped over and started to sob. "I'm sorry, I can't help it."

Johanna sniffed hard and took a deep breath.

"I think we should have dad's funeral tomorrow. I'll make some calls and get it going if you want."

Daphne nodded her head, "I think that's a good idea. Sadness should never linger too long." 

That day went by pretty quickly since everyone tried to keep busy doing something. Anything really.

Dylan got to the computer and wrote to his soon to be boss in Shang Simla.

Johanna buried her face in all the books she could read through tear soaked eyes.

Daphne tucked herself away in her room and lay on the bed most of the day. Some of the time she spent watching TV, and some of it was spent gazing into space. 

Brian went to Rachel's house to spend the day. She made him dinner and let consoled Brian while he cried on her shoulder. After they ate, the two sat on the couch and talked for hours before falling asleep in her bed.

When Brian woke, he kissed Rachel awake too.

"Come to my house today, I need you with me."

She agreed to, and they both got up and dressed.  

Brunch was served at the Fuller home. The family, and Rachel, all tried to avoid talking about the elephant in the room. No one wanted to upset anyone else. They talked about everything, and anything.

By 1 o'clock that afternoon, guests were arriving for the service.  Everyone dressed in their formal clothing and headed to the main room for the funeral. Johanna decided to wear the dress she bought for her prom - in her final memory of her father she wore this dress, she felt close to him in it.

Guests offered their condolences, and brought food.

Johanna's recent blossomed romance, Dallas, came to comfort her while Brian held tight to his mother.

Daphne cried hard. She considered James to be her absolute best friend. He would never be replaced in her life. Not ever.

Dylan made his rounds to every visitor and family member. He was just as heartbroken as the rest, but he tried to remain strong and calm for the others. Someone had to do it and he seemed to fit the part well.

"Johanna, are you doing okay? Holding together well?" Dylan asked his little sister.

"I guess so. I've only broken down twice, that's pretty good I guess. I just wish he was still here - that's natural I guess but I mean, it's almost my birthday and I wanted him to be there. I really did and he's just not going to be..." She started to sob again but kept rambling. Dylan grabbed her and squeezed her into a tight hug.

"It'll all be okay. I promise Jo-Jo, I promise. We'll be fine."

The service started to break up and each guest said their farewells. Everyone offered assistance to the family if they ever needed it, some more sincere than others.

When there was no one left, the family went to bed - mentally and emotionally drained. Completely cried out. 


 Maybe tomorrow would be a better day.

*********************************************

Writers note: I'm sorry about the long break between chapters. I'm hoping to get back on schedule. Thanks for your patience and thanks for reading!!

6 comments:

  1. A fitting tribute. I love how in Sims 3 you can have a funeral. Looks like Dylan will immediately have to assume the role of the next strong handsome head of the family. He's already holding the family together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was a sim, I would ask Dylan out on a date!! I really like the special area you made for James' ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nahhh that is so sad. I feel bad for the Fuller's. Hopefully things will be able to go forward :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hahaha sorry - edit to my previous comment: I meant Brian, not Dylan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - Dylan decided he wanted to get on his own career track!
    FunkyCherry - yeah I would date Brian too! hehehe
    Mrs Stuffy - it was a sad day for all of us but things will perk up soon enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see the family is holding together through these tough times. Solid chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete