Friday, December 9, 2011

GEN IV: Chapter 24

Adelaide picked up David every morning from the crib upstairs and spent the first 4 hours of the day, satisfying his every need, which were plentiful. David was turning into a pretty high maintenance baby. Brian, having raised 2 so far, guessed that this behavior stemmed from being spoiled by mommy.
Even though David was brand new and she spent most of her time with him, Adelaide didn't forget her other 'children' and made breakfast every day for them. Usually pancakes, because that ran in the family as a favorite meal. Everyone was usually up so early, the sun wasn't even peeking through any windows yet.
Just as the sun was coming over the horizon, with beautiful coloring, Adelaide had come out to tend her garden while Jennifer spent some time with David before she had to go to work. Actually, when Jennifer spent a full day at work, she found herself missing her half brother a lot and wishing she was back at home with him. She figured her 'maternal' instincts were kicking in just a bit, which made her think about her lack of boyfriend. That depressed her slightly, but she perked right back up when she thought of her upcoming trip.

Brian had found a case to work on via the police database that he had access to from home. Pretty soon he was out on the town asking questions and 'hiding' in the bushes doing stakeouts. He still loved every moment of his job, and he had been doing it his whole adult life. He looked forward to solving many more cases.

That afternoon Logan brought Carla home with him from school to do their homework together.

Carla walked by Adelaide as she was getting to the dining room table. "Hey Addy, going to get David?"

Adelaide smiled. "Yeah. Hey, help yourself to whatever is in the fridge." She said, waving her hand as she walked out of the room.

"Thanks."
While Brian was still out on the town, just after dark, he ran into Dylan by the Courthouse.

"Hey, how have you been? You know, I've been looking for Jo. Have you seen her by any chance?" Dylan asked.

Brian thought for a moment. "No, well not recently. Sometimes while I'm working I see her around with her boyfriend. Though I haven't seen her for a few days. Why?"

"She's just not been around much, and she hasn't answered my calls. It's just weird. Well I gotta run, got a date tonight." Dylan said.

"Okay, see you around."

Brian turned and went home.
Brian walked in the door and was faced with a beautiful sleeping baby. Thank goodness he's asleep, he's so cute when he's sleeping and not crying. Brian thought and he smiled at his son, then he turned and found himself facing Carla. Hmm, she's been here a lot lately. I wonder why.

"Heya Carla. How's it going? Have you gotten your homework done?"

"Yeah, Logan and I finished it up quick." She was about to turn and walk away, but something in her voice made Brian ask her if something was bothering her.

"Yes, actually. Since you asked. It's mom, she's never home anymore. I'm always by myself, which I think Logan noticed because he's invited me over nearly everyday for a week now. I think she regrets having me sometimes."

Brian was kind of shocked, but not surprised. "Oh honey, she doesn't regret having you at all. I know she loves you dearly. Where has she been?"

"I don't really know," Carla scoffed, "out with her next boyfriend or something. She dates too many guys."

Brian felt bad for her, concerned for her welfare and Johanna's. "Well honey, you know you can come here whenever and as often as you'd like. Make it your own home if you need to okay?"

He hugged Carla and told her he was going to bed.

"Okay, thanks Uncle Brian, really I appreciate it.

Brian gave Carla one last look and picked up David to take him up to the crib in the master bedroom. He tried to be as quiet as possible since Adelaide was already asleep. He also tried to be as gentle as possible so not to wake David as he was being moved.

Silently he crept to the dresser and got into his pajamas, then slipped between the sheets to join Adelaide.

Unfortunately, only an hour after Brian had lain with Adelaide, the 6 month old alarm went off. David had a bad habit of not sleeping at night. Ever.

Both drowsy parents got out of the bed to address their son. Adelaide stomped her foot and moaned at the fact of not getting a full night's sleep. Brian put his hands out, palms up, and groaned toward the ceiling.

The two of them got out their frustrations before picking David up, they kissed and Adelaide told Brian to lay down and sleep. She would take care of the baby, she had already napped a little.

Adelaide picked up her little guy, as Brian climbed back under the blankets, and tried holding him while changing clothes. The pair of them went downstairs to stay for the night.
Not too much later, Jennifer came down the stairs, showered and ready for work.

"Pancakes are in the kitchen, just finished, get them while they're hot." Adelaide told her.

"Thanks Addy, you're awesome." Jennifer said, "I'm starving!"

Right after Jennifer finished her breakfast, Logan sat down for his.

"So Logan. Are you ready? All packed and ready for China?"

Logan nearly choked on the bite in his mouth. "Oh are we leaving soon? Yeah, well I've been mostly ready for a few days now. Just need to throw a few more things in."

"Good, I'd like to go tonight."

That's when Adelaide spoke up, she had sat down soon after Logan and had heard the conversation.

"I don't mean to intrude, but has Brian said that Logan can go?"

"Oh, no. Not yet, I was going to talk to dad when I get home, I'm only going in for half a day today anyway."

"Okay, well good." Adelaide smiled. "I do hope he says you guys can go, I hear it's beautiful there."

Just as she said she would, Jennifer came home from a half a day of work and met her dad in the dining room.

"Heya, I'll get right to the point. You know I've been planning a trip to Shang Simla, I'm planning to leave tonight actually. I know this is sudden but I want Logan to come with me."

Brian's eyes widened. "Wow, really? Does he want to go?" He paused, "Well that was a silly question, of course he does."

"Well?" Jennifer pressed slightly, then said, "Okay yeah I know, you have to think about it."

"No, you know, actually I don't. I'm good with it. You're an adult now, for the most part." Brian smiled. "I think you can take care of your brother."

Jennifer was happily surprised. "Oh great, he'll be so thrilled."
Logan went to Carla's house after school because she had told him that Johanna was not going to be there, again.

The two of them sat together in the living room and did their homework. Logan thought briefly that Carla probably wouldn't have done her paper at all if he hadn't been there.

Afterward they had a pillow fight, that Carla started, and before long feathers were flying everywhere and they were making a big mess. Through all the laughing, it was hard to tell that Carla was actually not very happy.

The pillow fighting died down and Logan looked at Carla, "I thought you said your mom would be home by now."

Carla looked at her feet. "I doubt she's coming home tonight. Not until I'm in bed anyway."

Logan felt really bad for mentioning it, but also mad about Johanna not coming home. "Well then you come home with me, and stay there tonight."

Carla smiled and agreed to do that. She didn't even leave a note to let her mom know where she was going, they just left.
Brian and Jennifer were in the living room when Logan and Carla came in. Brian watched Carla walk through the foyer, into the dining room and felt a wave of sympathy wash over him. Poor Carla, Geesh Johanna did you forget about her? he thought to himself.

Logan and Carla ate dinner, Brian's famous Goopy Carbonara, mainly in silence. Logan wasn't sure what to say, his mind was solely on Carla's mom not being there so often, but it didn't seem like Carla wanted to talk about it much.

The two of them cleaned up the dishes and the leftovers together, then Logan stopped Carla in the kitchen.

"Okay I've tried not to say anything, but is your mom even still here? 'Cause I haven't seen her for weeks. You are staying here tonight you know. Sleeping over. There's two empty, well hopefully, two empty beds upstairs. You can use Jenn's or mine, if you like sailboats - I would say mine." He laughed, then he noticed that he didn't give her any opening to answer his question, so he asked again. "Anyway, is she still here?"

Carla nodded, "Yeah, she is. She's just always out. At first I thought it was for work, but my friends from school have said that they've seen her with guys. So I don't really know. I'm starting to not care much. I'm not too far from my birthday - as you know of course - so it doesn't matter."

Logan didn't want to push the issue further. "Okay well lets go watch TV, everyone is in there."

A few minutes into the show, Brian called Logan to the back to talk.
"Yes son, you can go. Promise me though, that you'll be careful. Really, because I know there are hidden dangers there."

"ALRIGHT!" Logan did a little dance of joy before making his promises. "You know I will, I may be a loon, but I'm not too crazy."

Brian gave his son a one armed embrace, his second having been taken up by David, and said goodbye.

Jennifer called for a taxi to head them out that night. They were both ready and very willing to get to China. They could only guess what would await them there.

Jennifer couldn't wait to see the sights, maybe even pick up a book or two, possibly learn a new recipe.

Logan didn't really know what to expect. Sure he had learned some things in school, but they were never right anyway. He was honestly hoping to get into some 'innocent trouble' there, if there was such a thing.

Either way, the two of them were on a flight by midnight.




To be continued...

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm a little worried about Logan in China, but I'm a lot worried about Joanna, I knew she left home and had a one-nighter with the creepy guy, but I didn't realize she had become so..so..friendly...toward men :) (Do you really get crabby nooboos in TS3, I mean one baby being crabbier than another?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rereading this due to worry about Johanna, but this time I noticed the pic of Brian holding up two clumps of foliage as camouflage--TOO FUNNY! Like the soldiers in Birnam Wood in Hamlet lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for Carla, but I'm more disappointed in Johanna. What on earth happened to her? To neglect her own daughter to this point.. I think Brian need to have a nice sit down chat with her. Looking forward to the kids in china! Well, not really kids anymore, but you know. Great chapter. :)


    P.S. I did notice something though. - "Silently he crept to the dresser and got into his pajamas, then slipped between the sheets to join his wife." Wife!? O_O When did they get married? Did we miss the ceremony? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments, I love each and every one of them.
    Well, as you should know I will not give away the story much so I can not reply to this as I wish I could lol
    Quan-Kun that is SO funny... when I published it there were 3 mistakes as such, I just love them together so much they are married in my mind XD! I have corrected that. Thanks! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. :) Details are in my most recent post!

    ReplyDelete