Friday, November 4, 2011

GEN IV: Chapter 20

Brian woke the next day to find his bed empty. He got up, made it quickly and went to shower. He found himself really anxious to know if Adelaide was still there or if she left already. During his very quick shower that was all he could think about, and he hoped she was still there.

Adelaide had gotten up about an hour before Brian and went downstairs for a drink. She heard Jennifer in the living room and decided to take the first step in establishing a relationship with her. Adelaide didn't like the fact that Jennifer wouldn't talk to her. Especially since she liked Brian so much, and she was sure that his daughter had a big influence on him.

"Jennifer, hey. Can we talk?"

Jennifer cleared the chess table and looked up. Her eyes were very swollen and red. When she looked at Adelaide, she actually smiled. It was a very small smile, but it was one none the less.

"Hi, Adelaide." She said. Jennifer hesitated and said, "I'm glad you're here. Yeah, we can talk."

'She's glad I'm here?' thought Adelaide 'okay, weird.' She was a little thrown by that statement and nearly forgot what she was going to say.

"Well, I.." Adelaide began.

Jennifer interrupted, "Can I talk first? I, um, I feel I owe you an apology. I never gave you a chance. The moment my dad started showing signs of coming out of his depression because of you, I began to hate you. You," She took a breath. "You came into our lives and started healing him before I was ready for him to heal. Before I was ready to heal. I've always been a girl quick to judge - and normally judged wrongly. I hated Logan when he was born, I was wrong to do that. I did the same to you, so I'm sorry. I'm sorry for disliking you before I get know you." Jennifer paused for a second.

Adelaide stared at her. Where was this coming from? She studied Jennifer's face, her puffy and red eyes held shadows beneath them as well. Adelaide realised that Jennifer had probably stayed up all night thinking about this. Beating herself up over it even.

"So, I want to start over. You do seem like a great lady, I've seen you with Logan and he just adores you. It's time for me to give the chance I should have given you when we met."

Adelaide smiled. What she really wanted to do was hug Jennifer, but she knew that would be way too forward. "Wow, Jennifer. You are so awesome. Very mature, I know you're going through a lot. I didn't and don't want to impose in any way, but I'm sure we'll be good friends." Adelaide tried to keep her composure, her insides were jumping for joy. For more than one reason. She wanted so much to be able to talk to Jennifer without getting distasteful looks from her. Also she knew that Jennifer would be more willing to accept her seeing Brian, and that thrilled her.

Brian came downstairs and found the girls talking in the living room. He was surprised, shocked even, to see Jennifer smiling at Adelaide.

"Is everything okay in here?" He asked hesitantly.

Adelaide looked at Brian and smiled, "Every thing's perfect. Just perfect." She looked at Jennifer, then she left the room figuring she wanted to talk to her father.

"Daddy. Hey. I probably should apologise to you too. I've been a... well a brat to you. Of course you know I had my reasons, but I think I was a little out of hand. I just really miss mom."

"Honey. I completely understand. You don't have to apologise at all. I get it, I do." Brian hugged Jennifer.

"Thanks dad. I also want you to know," Jennifer took a breath. "that Addy's cool. Not that I want you to marry her or anything, but I don't hate her. If you are interested in her, if you like her. If you really like her then don't let me stand between you and your happiness."

"Thanks sweetie." Brian wasn't sure what else to say. "You know, you act so grown up some times I forget your still a teen."

"Actually dad, my birthday is only a few weeks away. I'm not so young any more."

Adelaide poked her head in. "Hey Brian I have to get going. I just wanted to say goodbye."

Brian looked at Jennifer, then turned and hugged Adelaide. "I'll see you at Johanna's party later okay, she invited you too. Formal dress."

"Great, okay. I'll be there." Adelaide smiled at Jennifer, "Bye Jenn. C-ya Logan." Then she was out the door.

Brian sat down with his kids to enjoy a snack made by Logan himself. Logan had become pretty good at making muffins. He thought about selling them at the local park, but they never lasted it long enough to do that.

"So I won't be too late tonight, but Jennifer if you could make sure Logan is in bed by 9. It is a school night you know."

"Sure dad. No problem, have fun tonight and tell Aunt Jo that we say hello." Jennifer said, then she looked as though she remembered something important. "Right, you have not seen Carla since she was a toddler have you?"

Brian looked slightly confused, "No I guess I haven't. Why do you ask?"

"Well because, well, she has a growth defect. Kids really give her hell about it at school. She is supposed to grow out of it by her teens. I'm hoping she does, but the scars of being tortured by these kids will last forever."

Brian was even more confused. "A birth defect? What?"

"No no, a growth defect. When she grew to a child, she never grew taller - stayed the same height of a toddler. The doctors say she's getting bigger now though and when she gets to her teen years, she'll be perfect."

"Oh. Okay, well thanks for uh... thanks for letting me know." Brian said. "I gotta get going, so I'll see you later."

On the drive over to Johanna's house, he was still proccessing the information given to him, at least he was aware.
Brian walked into Johanna's house and was instantly greeted by Dylan.

"Hey bro! How's it going? I'm glad you came!" The two shook hands, started chatting and enjoying the party.

At one point, Brian suggested that Dylan go and mingle with some girls. He needed a girlfriend. Dylan was surprised to hear that coming from Brian.

Adelaide showed up at the party a little later than everyone, she said she couldn't pick a dress.

Brian talked to almost everyone at the party, some women even tried to flirt with him. When he cut their advances short they got the idea that he wasn't interested. Someone started a movie, and eventually it captured the attention of every one at the party. They all sat, or stood and watched the entire film. When it was over, so was the party.

Everyone left pretty quickly except for Brian, he stayed behind to help with some of the cleanup.
When there was no more noise coming from the living room, Carla came out from her room in the back.

"Hey girly, it's good to see ya!" Brian said, hiding his shock. He was expecting something, but wasn't really sure what. He did very well at hiding the surprise in his face.

"Hey Uncle Brian, you too. How are you?"

"Good good, how come you didn't come to the party?" He asked.

"Oh well," Carla looked at her feet then back up, "I really don't like crowds. Mommy was supposed to tell you hey from me. I didn't think you'd stay after the party."

"She did, she passed the message. Though I'm glad I stayed late and got to see you. Do you need anything from the kitchen?"

"No, but I wouldn't pass up a bedtime story." She smiled so nicely at Brian that he couldn't refuse.

He followed her to her room and tucked her in. He sat on the edge of the bed and read to her until she fell asleep. Then he went home to his kids, who were already in bed themselves.




To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Poor little thing :( Hope she grows out of it (is that a TS3 glitch? She looks older than a child but still only as tall as a toddler). Glad Jennifer is adjusting. LOVED Adelaide's dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jennifer.
    Yeah, sure like to know what happened to poor Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Jenn open up a little, I'm sure it wasn't easy coming to that conclusion. Carla was a surprise, I think I recognize the glitch but I'm not sure. Still, great chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete